Lets face it. Summer is coming to a close and most of us are starting the process of getting back into the routine of a more traditional work schedule, kids going back to school, sports and activities starting back up, and being on a daily grind to juggle all of the challenges your world presents on a weekly basis! Although this can feel overwhelming and difficult at times, why not take this opportunity to get your diet on track and showing the ones you love the most how to develop some great habits around clean eating, meal preparation, and using food as fuel for a healthy lifestyle! As part one of this ongoing recipe sharing series, we're getting this late summer/early fall season kicked-off (see what I did there, "kick-off") with 3 delicious and ridiculously simple recipes that you and your family will enjoy!! The best part? These recipes take the stress out of trying to come up with creative ways for your family to eat well and stay healthy! Enjoy!!
1. Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Hash Browns(Compliments of www.paleoleap.com)
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
2 Sausages; cooked and sliced
2 Sweet Potatoes; shredded
1 Red Onion; Diced
½ cup almond or coconut milk
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. fresh basil, minced
1 tbsp. fresh chives, minced
2 tbsp. cooking fat
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Melt some coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat
Add onion and garlic; cook until translucent and soft
Add shredded sweet potatoes to mixture; cook until they're nicely browned, and then add the mixture to casserole dish
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, chives, basil, and season with salt and pepper to taste
Pour the egg mixture over the sweet potatoes and top with sliced sausages
Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes
Let Casserole sit for 4-5 minutes before slicing and serving
2. Buffalo Bacon Chicken Ranch Potato Salad (Compliments of www.paleomg.com) (Featured in title photo*)
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed from bone and cubed
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ⅔ cup Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Ranch
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 3 green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon in a sauté pan until crispy. Set aside on a paper towel and chop into small pieces.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water then sprinkle with salt. Place saucepan over medium heat, cover and bring to boil. Let boil for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender, then drain. Cut potatoes in half or in quarters, place in a bowl and into the fridge to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add chicken and shallot to the bowl then add the rest of the ingredient and mix to combined. Taste to see if you need salt and pepper and add if needed. Add in chopped bacon and mix once more before serving!
3. Green Chicken Chili (Compliments of www.stupideasypaleo.com)
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Hours (crock pot)
- 2-1/2 to 3 lb (1134 to 1361 grams) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 to 4 tomatillos, husked and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb (227 g) Hatch chiles, diced*
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- Fresh lime wedges and chopped cilantro, for garnish
Lay the chicken thighs into the bottom of a slow cooker.
Sprinkle with the cumin, salt, coriander and black pepper. Toss the chicken to coat with the seasonings.
Add the tomatillos, onion, green chiles and garlic.
Cover the slow cooker and set on low for 5 hours.
When the time is up, remove the lid and shred the thigh meat with two forks.
We hope you find these recipes as enjoyable as we do, and more importantly, we hope they can help you and your family kick start your fall and getting back into the swing of your schedule trying to balance work, family, kids, sports, and every other activity that comes your way. Stay tuned for part 2 of our recipe series in the coming weeks!! If you would like to set up an appointment to speak with one of our professional coaches about more recipes like this, and how to help get you and your family on track to healthier diet and lifestyle, contact us today or drop us a line in the information box located on this website. We'd love to hear from you!!